Adam R. Reddon
Aquatic Behavioural Ecology Lab (ABEL)
Animal Behaviour Group
Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4L8
Phone: 905-525-9140; x26037
I completed B.Sc. Honors and M.Sc. degrees at the University of Alberta, under the supervision of Dr. Peter Hurd. I am currently working on my Ph.D. at McMaster University, under the supervision of Dr. Sigal Balshine. My doctoral work is focused on social decision-making in the cooperatively breeding cichlid fish, Neolamprologus pulcher. Specifically, I am investigating how these animals make decisions in affiliative and aggressive contexts and how these decisions are mediated by isotocin, the teleost homologue of oxytocin.
- Social decision-making
- Sociality and social networks
- Nonapeptides (oxytocin, vasopressin and their non-mammalian homologues)
- Cerebral lateralization
- Animal personality
- Hick, K.*, Reddon, A. R.*, O'Connor, C. M.* & Balshine, S. In press. Strategic and tactical fighting decisions in chichlid fishes with divergent social systems. Behaviour.
Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2013) Water pH during early development influences sex ratio and male morph in a West African cichlid fish, Pelvicachromis pulcher. Zoology, 116:139-143.
Dey, C. J.*, Reddon, A. R.*, O’Connor, C. M.* & Balshine, S. (2013) Network structure is related to social conflict in a cooperatively breeding fish. Animal Behaviour, 85:395-402.
Reddon, A. R., Balk, D. & Balshine, S. (2013) Probing aggressive motivation during territorial contests in a group-living cichlid fish. Behavioural Processes, 92:47-51
Reddon, A. R., O’Connor, C. M., Marsh-Rollo, S. E. & Balshine, S. (2012) Effects of isotocin on social responses in a cooperatively breeding fish. Animal Behaviour, 84:753-760.
Groen, M, Sopinka, N. M., Marentette, J. R., Reddon, A. R., Brownscombe, J., Fox, M. G., Marsh-Rollo, S. E. and Balshine, S. (2012) A role for aggression in round goby invasion fronts? Behaviour, 149:685-703.
- Reddon, A. R. (2012) Parental effects on animal personality. Behavioral Ecology, 23:242-245.
- Moscicki, M. K., Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2011) Lateralized behaviour of a non-social cichlid fish (Amatitlania nigrofasciata) in a social and a non-social environment. Behavioural Processes, 88:27-32.
- Reddon, A. R., Balk, D. & Balshine, S. (2011) Sex differences in group joining decisions in social fish. Animal Behaviour, 82:229-234.
- Reddon, A. R., Voisin, M. R., Menon, N., Marsh-Rollo, S. E., Wong, M. Y. L. & Balshine, S. (2011) Rules of engagement for resource contests in a social fish. Animal Behaviour, 82:93-99.
- Dinsdale, N. L., Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2011) Sex differences in the relationship between aggressiveness and the strength of handedness in humans. Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition, 16:385-400.
- Baragli, P., Vitale, V., Paoletti, E., Sighieri, C. & Reddon, A. R. (2011) Detour behaviour in horses (Equus caballus). Journal of Ethology, 29:227-234.
- Gutiérrez-Ibáñez, C.*, Reddon, A. R.*, Kreuzer, M., Wylie, D. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2011) Variation in asymmetry of the habenular nucleus correlates with behavioural asymmetry in a cichlid fish. Behavioural Brain Research, 221:189-196.
- Guillette, L. M., Reddon, A. R., Hoeschele, M. & Sturdy, C. B. (2011) Sometimes slower is better: Slow-exploring birds are more sensitive to changes in a vocal discrimination task. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 278:767-773.
- Reddon, A. R. & Balshine S. (2010) Lateralization in response to social stimuli a cooperatively breeding cichlid fish. Behavioural Processes, 85:68-71.
- Guillette, L. M., Bailey, A. A., Reddon, A. R., Hurd, P. L. & Sturdy, C. B. (2010)Capture order is repeatable in chickadees. International Journal of Comparative Psychology, 23:216-224.
- Guillette, L. M.*, Reddon, A. R.*, Hurd, P. L. & Sturdy, C. B. (2009) Exploration of a novel space is associated with individual differences in learning speed in black-capped chickadees. Behavioural Processes, 82:265-270.
- Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2009) Sex differences in cerebral lateralization of a cichlid fish when detouring to view emotionally conditioned stimuli. Behavioural Processes, 82:25-29.
- Reddon, A. R.*, Gutiérrez-Ibáñez, C.*, Wylie, D. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2009) The relationship between growth, brain asymmetry and behavioural lateralization in a cichlid fish. Behavioural Brain Research, 201:223-228.
- Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2009) Differences in aggressive behavior between convict cichlid color morphs: amelanistic convicts lose even with a size advantage. Acta Ethologica, 12:49-53.
- Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2009) Individual differences in cerebral lateralization are associated with shy-bold variation in the convict cichlid. Animal Behaviour, 77:189-193.
- Reddon, A. R. & Hurd, P. L. (2008) Aggression, sex and individual differences in cerebral lateralization in a cichlid fish. Biology Letters, 4:338-340.