Undergraduate Studies

Please note that PNB has a limited budget to support graduate travel, therefore the application process is a competitive one.  The following criteria will be evaluated when reviewing travel support applications:

  • To be eligible for PNB travel funding, you must be first author and present your own research as a poster or talk.  Any deviation from this (e.g. you ARE presenting the research but you are second author) must be presented as a special request to the graduate chair.

Meet the deadline!
There are two PNB deadlines in each fiscal year.  See below for upcoming deadlines.

  • Deadline 24 April 2018:  For travel between 01 May 2018 – 30 September 2018
  • Deadline 25 September 2018:  For travel between 01 October 2018 – 30 April 2019
  • Have you explored all possible avenues of obtaining travel grants (Supervisor, School of Graduate Studies) before submitting an application for travel funding to PNB?  
    • School of Graduate Studies deadlines and links: https://gsamcmaster.org/travel-grants/
    • Typically the SGS deadlines are first week of October, February, and June for travel in fall, winter, and summer, respectively.  
    • The SGS travel awards, if awarded, replaces the PNB travel award (you do not receive both).  It is very important to apply for alternative travel funding so that PNB and alternative travel funds can be shared among as many graduate students as possible.  
  • Have you secured matching funds from your supervisor?
  • Have you justified a reasonable budget?
  • Is this your first or second travel application within the current fiscal year?
  • Carefully consider these criteria as well as the other information requested on the travel application form. Then submit the completed form to Nancy Riddell:

Things you should remember when travelling (tips from Sally):

  • When sharing meals with others, ask for separate checks.
  • All meal receipts must be itemized.
  • Charge all alcohol to a separate check - alcohol cannot be charged to any Research Accounts.
  • If meals are charged to your hotel room, you must provide an itemized receipt; if you do not get one, you are required to call the hotel and have one sent to you.
  • An itemized hotel receipt is required unless the hotel is booked on a online website (eg. Expedia, Travelocity etc).
  • When sharing accommodations, ask for separate receipts upon check-out.
  • When booking airfare and/or hotels, please try to book your own, but if it is necessary to book together, please DO NOT book together with students in another lab, if you can avoid it. This presents a problem with using multiple grant numbers when the expense reports are submitted.

Things to remember when submitting your Expenses to Sally for reimbursement:

  • When handing in receipts for reimbursement, let Sally know if you received funding from the department or the GSA.  Also, let Sally know if you received any travel awards and what account number your supervisor would like her to charge.
  • Provide a conference programme (noting name of conference, location, and dates of conference).  A schedule at a glance is sufficient and can be printed off the internet.
  • Provide the itemized airfare/train itinerary with cost of airfare AND boarding passes.
  • Provide all original receipts, unless they are on-line receipts.  Please do NOT take photos of receipts and email them to Sally.

Important:  When charging your credit card, the receipt must say "charged to Visa/Mastercard ... noting the last four digits of card number", if your receipt does not say this, you must provide your credit card statement showing proof of charge.

  • If you are missing any receipts (eg. boarding pass, taxi receipt etc.) you must complete and submit a "Missing Receipt Form".
  • If amounts are in a currency other than Canadian dollars, you must provide proof of exchange, a credit card statement (an online statement) or a banking receipt showing the exchange rate you paid when exchanging money.  If you cannot supply proof of exchange, Sally will use the University Exchange for USD or the Bank of Canada rates for all other currencies on the date of purchase.
  • If meals are being charged to an Departmental/University/PDA/Start-Up grant, only "Meals with Receipts" can be claimed.  "Meals-per-Diem" are can only be charged to Tri-Council grants (NSERC/CIHR/SSHRC).

Students should read 2.5.7 Leaves of Absence in the Graduate Calendar for detailed information about taking a leave of absence.  The following flowchart may help to understand the timelines and constraints for different types of leaves:

The Petition form to request the leave can be found on the SGS Resources page. This is the same form that is used for other kinds of requests from SGS.

  • SGS Resources - click on the “Student Forms & Guides” tab and look for the form “PETITIONS FOR SPECIAL CONSIDERATION TO THE COMMITTEE ON GRADUATE ADMISSIONS AND STUDY”


Graduate Courses offered 2017-2018:

Graduate Courses offered 2016-2017:

Graduate Courses offered 2015-2016:

Graduate Courses offered 2014-2015:

Graduate Courses offered 2013-2014:

Graduate Courses offered 2012-2013:

Graduate Courses offered 2011-2012:

Graduate Courses offered 2010-2011:

Graduate Courses offered 2009-2010:

  • Psych 710 - Statistics and Research Design (Fall)
  • Psych 720 - Contemporary Problems (Fall and Winter)
  • Psych 711 - Quantitative Analysis of Response Time (Winter) [Milliken]
  • Psych 711 - Computational Models of Memory (Winter) [Becker]
  • Psych 713, 714, 715, 716 - Special Topics Module (Fall, Winter-Spring, Summer)

Graduate Courses offered 2008-2009:

  • Psych 710 - Statistics and Research Design (Fall) [Pat Bennett]
  • Psych 720 - Contemporary Problems (Fall and Winter) [Pat Bennett]
  • Psych 741 - Laurel Trainor
  • Psych 711/712 - Pat Bennett
  • Psych 713, 714, 715, 716 - Special Topics Module (Fall, Winter-Spring, Summer)

We have approximately 100 PNB graduate students. Sometimes it is helpful to match faces with names!


 Grads2017  Grads2016 thumbnail


Grads2015 thumbnail


grad composite2013

Composite 17/18

Composite 16/17 Composite 15/16 Composite 14/15 Composite 13/14
grad composite2012
 grad_composite2010  2009-contact-sheet.jpg  grad08_09_thumb.jpg

Composite 12/13 

Composite 11/12   Composite 10/11 Composite 09/10   Composite 08/09

School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Resources (forms)

International students moving to Canada to Study at McMaster may find the following tips useful:

All students who are working at Teaching Assistants (TAs) must complete the TA Hours and Work Form at the beginning of the term of the TAship (typically in the fall term AND in the winter term).

Consult with the instructor of the course to complete the form and submit it to Nancy Riddell.

Progress reports are due each year on May 15th.  

Students should form their supervisory committees before the end of the fall term of their first year.  Students should aim to hold their first supervisory committee meeting in January or February of their first year.  The Plan of Study provides a structure to plan required courses, comprehensive exam, and modules, and should be approved by your committee and the graduate chair.  Please use the following guidelines and forms:

Comprehensive exams must be completed before the end of 24 months of study in the PhD program.

Once students have completed all course work, passed their comprehensive exams (in the case of PhD thesis),  and collected all their thesis data, with permission of their committee they may be awarded permission to write.

The Master’s defense is organized within the department and requires two forms which should be printed and brought to the defense:

Special Topics course codes are used for evaluation of research modules.  The faculty member with whom you work to complete the research module should submit this evaluation form to provide a grade:  



Contact Department

Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour (PNB)
Psychology Building (PC), Room 102
McMaster University
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton Ontario L8S 4K1