My general research program is mostly focused on investigating the sequence stratigraphy and 3D facies architecture of shallow marine, paralic, and fluvial depositional systems.
Dr. Janok Bhattacharya research program is mostly focused on investigating the sequence stratigraphy and 3D facies architecture of shallow marine, paralic, and fluvial depositional systems. Although much industry exploration effort is currently focused on deepwater depositional systems, about 50% of global oil production is currently from shallow marine, paralic and fluvial strata. Despite the continued importance of these reservoir types, ours is one of the only research programs devoted to this important area.
I am also investigating the interrelationships between structure and stratigraphy as a paired process. Specific projects are aimed at examining the effects of meso-scale tectonic structure on high-frequency sequence stratigraphic architecture in foreland basins and the relationship between sedimentation processes and formation of growth faults associated with deltaic depositional systems.
My research program is founded on the fundamentals of sedimentology, fieldwork, facies analysis, and sequence stratigraphy. Our program also crosses the boundaries between geophysics and engineering disciplines and provides an important environment for teamwork and integration that we believe provides a model for industry.
- Earth Sc/Envir Sc 3E03 (Course Outline): Clastic Sedimentary Environments (Term One) 2017-18
- Earth Sc 4J03 (Course Outline): Basin Analysis (Term One) 2017-18
- Earth Sc 6J03: Basin Analysis (Term One) 2017-18
- Earth Sc 711: Petroleum Exploration Workshop (Term Two) 2017-18
- Earth Sci 756: Advanced methods in Sedimentology & Stratigraphic Analysis, 2017-18