FAQs for Graduate students


1.I would like to apply to your program. Where can I obtain the application?

Applications are on-line:   McMaster Application page

2.Where shall I send the supporting documentation for my application?

Academic Program Assistant -Graduate Studies, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Ivor Wynne Centre 219C, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1

3.Is there a deadline for graduate application?

March 31st is the annual deadline. Under special circumstances, we may consider applications from students after the application deadline. Given that we have a limited number of resources (TA positions, entrance awards, etc.) to allocate to incoming students, please bear in mind that prompt submission of applications will increase the likelihood of a successful application.

4.How do I get a faculty advisor?

All applications will be reviewed by those faculty members who are considering taking on new graduate students. Applicants are strongly encouraged however, to contact faculty members, with whom their research interests’ best align, directly regarding potential supervision. Applicants must identify a potential supervisor at the time of application and no applicant is offered admission until a faculty member agrees to supervise them.

5.What are the minimum admission requirements?

In accordance with School of Graduate Studies calendar, we require a minimum average of B+ or equivalent, in your previous studies. If you are taking courses (as yet unmarked) at the time your application is being considered, your application is evaluated based on the grades available. Conditional offers can be made on the premise that you will maintain the average+ academic standing.

6.What is the statement of interest?

A maximum one summary (single spaced, 12-point font) describing the area of kinesiology in which you wish to study. Many students also include a brief summary of relevant employment experience and a resume. Since kinesiology connects with many other disciplines, the summary and any additional information you choose to send helps potential supervisors identify prospective graduate students for their specific research groups. A statement of interest is not your resume, although you should include a resume or CV with your supporting materials

7.Will I receive financial aid?

Yes, students accepted to our program are guaranteed an annual salary. The current stipends are $15,000 annually for up to 2 years for MSc students, and $20,000 annually for up to 4 years, for PhD students. Student who are successful in receiving an external scholarship are provided with additional funding from the Department on top of the award.

For further information regarding the external awards for outstanding students, please look through our graduate handbook and survey the websites for NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR. For information on internal awards, please visit the website for the    School of Graduate Studies.

8.What are your Department’s fields of research?

Graduate training offered by the Department of Kinesiology covers the following broad research areas:

  1. Integrative Physiology
  2. Mechanics and Control of Movement
  3. Neuroscience & Behaviour
Please consult the web pages of our faculty members for specific details on the types research conducted in these areas

9.How many applicants do you accept each year?

The number applications that are accepted varies each year depending on several factors. These include the number of applications we receive, which research areas are looking to expand, which research teams are already at full complement, how many our current and prospective students have external funding, and the level of research funding held by our faculty members.

10.How long is the M.Sc. program?

Expected completion for MSc students is two years. MSc students are guaranteed salary support for those two years only. There is an opportunity to accelerate to PhD within the first or second years of the program.

11.How long is the Ph.D. program?

Expected completion within four years. PhD students are guaranteed salary support for those four years.

12.English Language Proficiency Certification Information:

What is the TOEFL score requirement? MINIMUM scores of: 92 (Internet-based) 237 (Computer-based) 580 (Paper-based)

What are the University code and the Departmental code? The University Code is: 0936 and the Departmental Code is: 35.

What is the IELTS requirement? MINIMUM scores: 6.5 min score overall. Academic, not General 5.5 min. score in each section.

What is the MELAB requirement? MINIMUM score of 90

If you are not a native English speaker but have taken a 4 year degree taught in English, you may not need to take a language proficiency test. Please check with the graduate administrator.

13.Is GRE (Graduate Record Exam) required?

No, this is not required.

14.How can I determine the status of my application?

Please check the on-line application to see what documents have been received. The online system is updated regularly.

15.My application is complete, what do I do now?

Once we have determined that your application is complete and eligible, it reviewed by faculty members who are considering taking on new graduate students. If a faculty member is interested in your application, that person will contact your directly to arrange to meet or speak with you . Applicants can expect to receive the results of their application by no later than May 31 of the year of admission. This process takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on the cohort of applicants and the number of faculty members actively seeking new students. You will be notified by the Department if your application is not successful.

16.What are the current tuition fees for student?

The current academic year tuition fees for graduate students can be found at:   Fees for Graduate Students page

Last updated September 2021


1.Do graduate students have a say in issues of governance of the department?

Most definitely! The Kinesiology Faculty welcome input from graduate students in matters related to governing the Department. Kinesiology has a graduate student body organization that is in place to advocate on your behalf. This is an elected body where all graduate students in kinesiology elect two of their members to attend the regular Departmental meetings, one member to serve on the Graduate Studies Committee, and one member to sit on the Department Curriculum Committee. As well, graduate students from all departments throughout McMaster University are involved at the University level in discussions concerning graduate studies.

2.Is there a comprehensive guidebook for graduate students in the department?

The Grad Student Handbook is posted on the Kinesiology web, under the Graduate Studies section. It is updated regularly to reflect changes in policy and improvements in procedures.

3.Where can I find guidelines for the preparation of theses?

The Guide for the Preparation of Theses is available for download in pdf format.

4.How do I know if I’m eligible for external or internal awards?

Although there are some exceptions, the usual minimum average for consideration in these competitions is A- (a 10/12 on the McMaster University scale or ~80-84%). Depending on the time of year, and how many courses you may have already taken in your studies at McMaster, your average may change from competition to competition. Tri-Council awards are not available for international students. If you are unclear as to whether you qualify, please speak to the Academic Program Assistant – Graduate Studies. Links to the major granting agencies are found here.

5.How and when do I get my financial assistance? What do I do if it doesn’t seem correct to me?

Your salary is paid by direct deposit to your bank account. Employment (TA work) is paid bi-weekly. Scholarship funds are dispersed once per term. You must submit a direct deposit form and a void cheque to Graduate Studies to make this happen. Please keep in mind that entrance scholarships (MSc 1) are paid out during first term, that TA/RA salary is paid during the months that TA/RA hours are worked, and that annual incidental fees are assessed on the September payroll.

6.Where can I obtain the forms I need to have a committee meeting?

All the forms you will need are located in two places – forms specific to your department and program, (such as those necessary for a committee meeting) are located on the Kinesiology department website under Graduate program, Forms. The rest are available through the School of Graduate Studies website.

7.Where can I obtain the forms I need to change my status, become part time, apply for a leave of absence, …etc

All the forms you will need are located in two places – forms specific to your status, registration, absence from campus are all located on the School of Graduate Studies website. Other forms are available on the department website.

Go Back
McMaster University - Faculty of Science | Kinesiology