How to Apply
** Please note that the application system will be down from October 11-15TH inclusive due to system maintenance **
APPLICATIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2019 WILL BE OPEN AS OF SEPTEMBER 1, 2018.
PLEASE NOTE: the minimum acceptable average for consideration of admission to the MSc program is B+ grade (around 79%) in a 4-year bachelor's program. Applicants to the PhD program must have a Master's degree (thesis-based) in a relevant program with a minimum of B+ grade (around 79%) to be considered for admission.
Applications are submitted online and a complete application should be received by January 31 for the best opportunity for review and consideration. The McMaster application system opens September 1 for applications for the following academic year.
You may start an application on line and return to finish it at a later date. Make note of any number that is assigned. You can also locate your previously saved applicaton by searching using your last name.
Please contact us if you have questions about the online application process.
Application deadline for materials required is January 31.
- One official ORIGINAL transcript of academic work completed to date, sent directly from the issuing institution. If the transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, any offer issued will be conditional upon the applicant achieving the appropriate academic standing (79% or better) and providing proof of same.
- Two Confidential Reports on Applicant for Admission () from instructors most familiar with your academic work. Referees are able to upload their confidential assessments directly to the on-line admission site and will receive an auto-email telling them that a student has listed him or her as a referee. Referees may included narrative letters if they so wish. .PDF file
- If English is not your first language, an official copy of your TOEFL score, or other evidence of competency in English is required. A MINIMUM TOEFL score of 580 (or 237) is required for the Faculty of Science.
- Statement of interest in pursuing graduate studies. This is approximately one page telling why us you are interested in the field, what you want to accomplish in your studies, and any information you think would be of use to the reviewing committee. This statement (along with a current resume or CV) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Original documentation should be forwarded directly to Graduate Studies, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Ivor Wynne Centre 219C, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1.
Applications must be accompanied by a required $110.00 application fee. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid in Canadian dollars by means of a credit card payment or a cheque drawn on a Canadian bank, payable to McMaster University. Cheques drawn on Canadian banks should also include a $15.00 processing fee for a total of $125.00. If paying by cheque, please forward it directly to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Please provide a cv or resume or a list on a separate page of any research, teaching or work experience related to your proposed area of specialization. The most important aspect of your application is how well you appear to fit with the supervisor and research team in your desired subspeciality. You are more than the sum of your grades.
- Applicants are urged to declare any disabilities, and to provide details concerning accommodations provided by their previous educational institutions, at the time of application. Such declaration is encouraged particularly in cases where it is felt that the disability may have affected past academic performance, and/or where accommodation may be required in order for the student to be successful in his/her graduate program. The School of Graduate Studies policy with regard to students with disabilities can be found in section 6 of the School of Graduate Studies Calendar. The full policy and further information may be obtained from the School of Graduate Studies or the Centre for Student Development, PHONE 905 525 9140 ext. 24354; FAX 905 528 3749.