How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2021 WILL BE OPEN AS OF SEPTEMBER 1, 2020.
PLEASE NOTE: the minimum acceptable average for consideration of admission to the MSc program is B+ grade in a 4-year bachelor's program. Applicants to the PhD program must have a Master's degree (thesis-based) in a relevant program with a minimum of B+ grade to be considered for admission.
The McMaster application system opens on September 1st for applications for the following academic year. Applications are submitted onlineand, in order to assure the best opportunity for review and consideration, the complete application package must be received by March 31.
You may start an application online and return to finish it at a later date. You can locate your saved application by searching using your last name. Be sure to make note of any number that is assigned to you.
Please contact us if you have questions about the online application process.
- You must provide a PDF version of your ORIGINAL transcript at the time you apply. This will help us evaluate your application while we wait to receive your original documents (sent directly from the issuing institution). If the transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, any offer that is issued will be considered conditional upon the applicant demonstrating achievement of the appropriate academic standing (B+ or better) and providing proof of same.
- Two Confidential Reports on Applicant for Admission (sent as files) from instructors most familiar with your academic work. Your referees are able to upload their confidential assessments of you directly to the on-line admission site and will receive an auto-email telling them that a student has listed him or her as a referee. Referees may include narrative letters if they so wish. PDF
- If English is not your first language, an official copy of your TOEFL score is required. MINIMUM scores of: 92 (Internet-based); 237 (Computer-based); 580 (Paper-based) is required by the Faculty of Science.
- Statement of interest in pursuing graduate studies. This is approximately one page in length. In this statement, be sure to tell us why you are interested in a particular field of study, what you would like to accomplish in your studies, as well as any information that you think would be of use to the people reviewing your application. This statement (along with a current resume or CV) should be uploaded to your application at the time you apply.
All original documentation should be forwarded directly to Graduate Studies, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Ivor Wynne Centre 219C, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1.
Applications must be accompanied by a $110.00 application fee. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid in Canadian dollars by means of a credit card payment or interac card (domestic applicants).
- Please ensure that the CV that you have uploaded includes any research, teaching or work experience related to your proposed area of specialization. The most important aspect of your application is how well you appear to fit with a potential supervisor and their research team in your desired subspecialty. You are more than the sum of your grades!
- Applicants are urged to declare any disabilities, and to provide details concerning any accommodations provided by previous educational institutions, at the time of application. Such a declaration is encouraged particularly in cases where the disability may have affected past academic performance, and/or where accommodation may be required for the student to be most successful in their graduate program. The School of Graduate Studies policy with regard to students with disabilities can be found in section 6 of the School of Graduate Studies Calendar. The full policy and further information may be obtained from the School of Graduate Studies or the Centre for Student Development, PHONE 905 525 9140 ext. 24354; FAX 905 528 3749.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page