Supervisor, Senior Health Physicist
Office: Nuclear Research Building 107
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 24099
Fax: (905) 528-4339
As the head of the health physics group for McMaster, I am interested in supervising students in projects focussed on solving practical radiation safety problems. The projects can be done in one of the University’s nuclear settings (the McMaster Nuclear Reactor, the McMaster Accelerator Laboratory, the McMaster University Cyclotron Facility, the CANS Shielded Facility or our High Level Laboratory Facility) or in a clinical setting focussed on diagnostic or therapeutic nuclear medicine. Part time students from industry can complete projects focussed on radiation safety challenges at their place of employment in partnership with a local supervisor.
Recent projects for which I have been a supervisor or co-supervisor have focussed on topics such as:
- Design and implementation of an internal dosimetry program for radioiodines (satisfying the requirements for CNSC licensing).
- Characterization and optimization of radioactive waste streams from a variety of facilities.
- Consolidating radiation safety experiences and practices related to tritium exposures at CANDU nuclear power plants.
- Radiological source term evaluation for a CANDU reactor.
- Radiation safety assessments and radiation safety program designs for various experimental and applied research facilities.
- Recent Publications
Suketu Patel, MSc (Radiation & Health Physics)
Victoria Gu, MSc (Radiation & Health Physics)
Med Phys 4F03: Fundamentals of Health Physics
Med Phys 776: Introduction to Operation Health Physics